Monday, October 13, 2014

The Danger of a Single Story......my story

I am fortunate to be part of the SEED seminar. It's only just begun, but it's been an interesting journey thus far - it's about mindsets, stereotypes, ideologies, not about the others or the world but about myself. Now, that's interesting isn't it?

Come to think of it; what i see, what i hear, how i react, my actions are all based on what 'i' feel, what 'i' think is right, what 'i' think is the best possible way. I see everything through a lens, my own personal lens. It's mine, so i hold it the way i want to, hold it as far or as close as i want to, hold it for as long as i want to. And what does 'my' lens do? It magnifies the image which 'i' choose to see ten times over. The lens is my own biases which cloud my thinking.

At the last seminar i attended, i had a chance to see this wonderful video, by Chimamanda Adichie. I have read Chimamanda's books and have been fascinated by how her style transports you to her motherland. Post seeing this video, i've come to admire her more.

I'm in the education sector, hence the task given was to write my own single story in this field. This is what i put down....................

“Hi beta!
How are you?
What is that?
Your home work?
Let’s see………..
Hmm……….
Nice!
Do you know what you’ve written?
Or have you just copied?
Can you tell me what this is?”

What makes me entitled to doubting the child?
Doubting if he knows what he has done
Questioning his understanding
Isn’t it because I’m the adult and he the child?
Do i in some deep dark corner consider myself the giver and he the receiver???
But what right do I have to do that, to feel that?
How often in my interactions do I have the ‘holier than thou’ attitude?
Again, who has given me that pedestal?
Is it me, myself???
It is, isn’t it?

Yes i may have been around for fairly long in the organization
Does that mean I know more?
Why do i just assume that a newcomer doesn’t understand the system?
What gives me the right to state that it is the newcomer who has to learn?
Wow! A newcomer! I’m going to learn so much….
Why doesn’t that cross my mind?
Do i consider my position to be of sole proprietorship?
Does the number of years i’ve been around justify that attitude?
Is it my way of seeking validation?
Or is it a reflection of my insecurity?

We’re trying to make systemic reform
Does that mean only my method is THE way to do it?
I have been able to succeed in the past
My students have done well
But that again is what i think
Do my self- assessments make me qualified to be part of the systemic reform?
Why do i not be more open and look for better methodologies?
What gives me the right to consider what i do to be the one and only route?
Is it that i want to be different?
Or is it that i will feel lost among the many successes???

I wonder……………




No comments:

Post a Comment